Skip to main content

The hated query letters and pitches to agents

When I last left you imaginary readers I said the most common ways to get published are the Query Letter and the Agent Pitch. The intention of both of those gems is to obtain a literary agent who will forcefully shove your book down a publisher's throat like a pit bull in heat.
If you think the odds of getting published are astronomical wait until you try to rope a literary agent.
The query letter is what it says it is, you query an agent with a short description of your novel and they are so aghast with your talent that they sign you up for a mere ten percent commission in the states and fifteen percent overseas. The best query letters are three paragraphs long. The first paragraph is meant to hook the agent into reading the last two and in turn convincing them to ask you to send them your entire manuscript, toot suite.
Don't start the letter by saying you have written the greatest book ever and don't say it will make a zillion dollars and especially don't threaten the agent. They'll be plenty of time for that later once they've signed you.
Write that first paragraph to hook them. Here is one I wrote recently: After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States government insisted all eligible young men enlist immediately to fight against the enemies overseas. All eligible young men except Japanese-Americans.
There. I did not address the agent but I told her about the book in a way she wasn't expecting for a historical fiction novel. There are hundreds of examples of query letters on the Internet so copy some of the successful ones.
The other method of obtaining an agent is the five to ten minute pitch at writer's conferences. You shell out forty bucks to sit with an agent who really doesn't want to be there and definitely doesn't want to hear about your vampire character experiencing a coming of age or whatever. So, is it worth the money? Probably not but it is the only way the agent will ask for three chapters of your manuscript so what the hell, go for it. In all likelihood, when the manuscript arrives at the literary agent's office it will be perused by a third year MFA student working as an intern for the summer. So forget about it.
Back to the conference pitch. When sitting across from the agent, point at them and say, "You need my book!" Then hand them your entire manuscript printed on an eight-year-old HP ink-jet printer that you typed in a 10 point Old English Font. Yes again, I am trying to reduce the competition. Seriously, just tell them the gist of your book in a few words then tell them how long it is and what genre. After that, the agent will usually ask you questions to kill the uncomfortable silence.
Ah, just forget about it and give up. In the meantime, read my short story on Helium about a way for an attractive girl to get a literary agent.

Question of the day:  If you work for Waste Management is all your e-mail considered junk mail?

Deep thought of the day:  George Sand was a woman and Joyce Kilmer was a man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nisei

My new novel, published by Black Opal Books:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States government encouraged all eligible young men to enlist immediately in the fight against its enemies overseas. All eligible young men except Japanese-Americans.Nisei is the story of Hideo Bobby Takahashi, a Hawaiian-born Japanese-American who must overcome prejudice, internment, and the policies of his own government to prove his loyalty to his country.Narrated by Bobby Takahashi and read by his son, Robert, 46 years after Bobby’s death, the story details the young Nisei’s determination to fight honorably for his country and return to the young love he was forced to leave, a girl he cannot have because she is white. Nisei on Amazon

Deviant Acts

October 12, 2015 00



My newest novel, Deviant Acts, was released November 14. . My publisher sent galleys of the book to well-known reviewers like, Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, and Book Page. I paid for the postage and the cost of the galleys, so I hope they did, anyway. I really don't expect to be reviewed by the big boys and girls, though I believe the book is written well enough and has a good enough story to consider a review. But then again, like all other authors, I'm in love with my writing. A natural progression for authors is that your first hate your writing, then you doubt it, and then you love it. The doubt it stage usually produces the best work. I wrote Deviant Acts when I was in my doubt it stage, but now I love it. I know. I'm as confused as you are.
 What is the origin of this book? How did it surface from the goo of my brain? When I sire a novel it usually comes from actual events I've experienced, or from current and historical events that others have e…

NEW AUTHOR WEBSITE

Please visit my new website:  www.jjwhitebooks.com
Play some chess against a computer on the site and listen to some classical music.
Sign up on the site to receive news of new books or events.
I won't sell your e-mail and I won't send you spam. Scout's honor.
I'll also be moving this blog there as soon as I can figure out how visitors can comment on it.
Also, my story The Adventure of the Nine Hole League was published in the Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine #13

JJ