Skip to main content

J.J. White's Ten More Rules Of Writing (with apologies to Elmore Leonard)

The Great Elmore

  1. Do not start writing until you've had two beers.
  2. Do not write after you've had three beers.
  3. As long as you are killing your darlings, kill the rest of your crap with them.
  4. Try to copy anyone's writing style but your own.
  5. Do not use Microsoft Word's 'Find and Replace' to remove all words ending in LY. (I lost an Elly, a Molly and a French Airport that way.)
  6. If you get writer's block, add a sex scene.
  7. If the literary agents say your novel is shallow and pedantic, tell them it's Y.A.
  8. Chewing your pencil is not writing with passion.
  9. If you are writing a politically correct novel, use [he or she said] for all your attributions.
  10. If you want conflict in your writing, ask your spouse to read it.

Comments

  1. Dang, here I thought if I sharpened my teeth on a pencil, I had that, je ne sais quoi--next you'll be telling me I shouldn't wear my beret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rule 11 - Only best-selling authors and balding rock stars can wear berets.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nisei

My new novel, published by Black Opal Books:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States government encouraged all eligible young men to enlist immediately in the fight against its enemies overseas. All eligible young men except Japanese-Americans.Nisei is the story of Hideo Bobby Takahashi, a Hawaiian-born Japanese-American who must overcome prejudice, internment, and the policies of his own government to prove his loyalty to his country.Narrated by Bobby Takahashi and read by his son, Robert, 46 years after Bobby’s death, the story details the young Nisei’s determination to fight honorably for his country and return to the young love he was forced to leave, a girl he cannot have because she is white. Nisei on Amazon

Deviant Acts

October 12, 2015 00



My newest novel, Deviant Acts, was released November 14. . My publisher sent galleys of the book to well-known reviewers like, Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, and Book Page. I paid for the postage and the cost of the galleys, so I hope they did, anyway. I really don't expect to be reviewed by the big boys and girls, though I believe the book is written well enough and has a good enough story to consider a review. But then again, like all other authors, I'm in love with my writing. A natural progression for authors is that your first hate your writing, then you doubt it, and then you love it. The doubt it stage usually produces the best work. I wrote Deviant Acts when I was in my doubt it stage, but now I love it. I know. I'm as confused as you are.
 What is the origin of this book? How did it surface from the goo of my brain? When I sire a novel it usually comes from actual events I've experienced, or from current and historical events that others have e…

NEW AUTHOR WEBSITE

Please visit my new website:  www.jjwhitebooks.com
Play some chess against a computer on the site and listen to some classical music.
Sign up on the site to receive news of new books or events.
I won't sell your e-mail and I won't send you spam. Scout's honor.
I'll also be moving this blog there as soon as I can figure out how visitors can comment on it.
Also, my story The Adventure of the Nine Hole League was published in the Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine #13

JJ