Skip to main content

What I Miss:


Driving without a seatbelt.

Driving without a seatbelt in a car with bench seats.

Driving without a seatbelt in a car with bench seats and a metal dash.

Driving without a seatbelt in a car with bench seats and a metal dash with your date beside you.

Following the Mosquito Man on my bicycle.

Chasing down the ice cream man and pounding on the side of the truck to get him to stop.

Watching the movie projector light through a smoky haze.

Attending a rock concert where the crowd uses lighters instead of cell phones during ballads.

Nurses in tight fitting white uniforms and those silly hats.

Stewardesses in tight fitting uniforms.

A&W waitresses delivering food to your car in tight fitting uniforms.

Miniskirts. (I see a pattern here.)

Delivering 86 newspapers on a bicycle that has two baskets on the side and one in the front.

Catching blowfish off the bridge using frozen shrimp as bait.

Popping blowfish with my foot after they puff up.

Crabbing at 2 AM off Mather’s Bridge.

Lying on the warm hood of a ’56 Cadillac in 10 degree weather and watching the Northern Lights dance across the night sky . (Vermont)

Al’s French Frys with white vinegar. (Yes it’s Frys) (Vermont again)

The smell of A&W hotdogs and fries when they place the tray on the driver’s side window.

A&W root beer in those wax megaphone containers. (My kids are asking, “What the heck is he talking about?”)

Royal Castle Hamburgers. (Mystery Meat)

Salisbury Steak Day at school. (More Mystery Meat)

The smell of the incense in a Catholic Church.

A new litter of Labrador puppies in a cardboard box.










Comments

  1. How do you freeze the ships?

    "Catching blowfish off the bridge using frozen ship as bait."

    Dude, you really need a good editor for your blog. I'm for hire - I'm expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All fixed. Dont knead no dam edators.

      Delete
    2. Not as long as you have me for a friend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nisei

My new novel, published by Black Opal Books:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States government encouraged all eligible young men to enlist immediately in the fight against its enemies overseas. All eligible young men except Japanese-Americans.Nisei is the story of Hideo Bobby Takahashi, a Hawaiian-born Japanese-American who must overcome prejudice, internment, and the policies of his own government to prove his loyalty to his country.Narrated by Bobby Takahashi and read by his son, Robert, 46 years after Bobby’s death, the story details the young Nisei’s determination to fight honorably for his country and return to the young love he was forced to leave, a girl he cannot have because she is white. Nisei on Amazon

NEW AUTHOR WEBSITE

Please visit my new website:  www.jjwhitebooks.com
Play some chess against a computer on the site and listen to some classical music.
Sign up on the site to receive news of new books or events.
I won't sell your e-mail and I won't send you spam. Scout's honor.
I'll also be moving this blog there as soon as I can figure out how visitors can comment on it.
Also, my story The Adventure of the Nine Hole League was published in the Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine #13

JJ

Deviant Acts

October 12, 2015 00



My newest novel, Deviant Acts, was released November 14. . My publisher sent galleys of the book to well-known reviewers like, Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, and Book Page. I paid for the postage and the cost of the galleys, so I hope they did, anyway. I really don't expect to be reviewed by the big boys and girls, though I believe the book is written well enough and has a good enough story to consider a review. But then again, like all other authors, I'm in love with my writing. A natural progression for authors is that your first hate your writing, then you doubt it, and then you love it. The doubt it stage usually produces the best work. I wrote Deviant Acts when I was in my doubt it stage, but now I love it. I know. I'm as confused as you are.
 What is the origin of this book? How did it surface from the goo of my brain? When I sire a novel it usually comes from actual events I've experienced, or from current and historical events that others have e…