Skip to main content

Dealing With Rejection In Writing


You, of course, don't have to suffer rejection. Just set your goals very, very low and you'll never have to deal with the heartless monster. If you've convinced yourself you'll never have that primo body or job or spouse or pool or Mercedes or million bucks, and your prediction comes true, then you'll save yourself the anxiety of rejection. The same goes for writing. If you truly believe you will never write the Great American or Indian or Canadian (eh?) Novel, and you never do, then you have succeeded. Congratulations.
I've had to deal with rejection all my life. When the doctor held me up after the delivery, I was so ugly he slapped my mother. (kudos to Dangerfield.) In Junior High School, the coach had me run against a three-hundred pound kid with congenital heart disease and I lost. In high school, I asked Laura Baugh, the U.S. Amateur golf champion, and the most beautiful girl in Florida, if she wanted to dance. She looked me up and down and said, "You've got to be kidding."

So with that plethora of experience one would think I would be uber capable of handling anything these cruel agents and publishers can fling at me. Alas, tis not the case. With each postcard or form letter or terse, dispassionate e-mail rejection, my writing enthusiasm dies just a little bit more.
There are days I want to pull an Emily Dickinson and shove my prose into the underwear drawer and leave it to be discovered after I have writ me last syllable and left God's good Earth. I know, a bit melodramatic and filled with hyperbole, but sooner or later you have to ask yourself if you should keep trying or just do what that whiny bastard who writes that blog called, Give It Up, You'll Never Be Published tells you to do? Oh, wait a sec. That's me, isn't it? Dumbass.
I guess you could listen to those pundits at those writing conferences who tell you to keep a stiff upper lip and to always remember that Theodor Geisel had hundreds of rejections from publishers, as did Stephen King and J K Rowling, and yet they stuck to their guns and were eventually published. Well, yeah, but those are successful examples. What about the zillion that were never published? Geez.
Okay. Here's an example of a Query letter you can send to a literary agent and be absolutely sure you won't feel awful if rejected:
 
 

September 6, 2012

Prima Donna Literary, LLC

20 Madison Ave.

New York, NY 10010 

 

Dear Sir or Madam or To Whom It May Concern or probably to an intern, most likely, 

My novel, The Godfather, is a coming-of-age story about a teenager who transforms into a werewolf whenever he eats at Five Guys. I titled it The Godfather because that’s already a successful novel and I figure a lot of people will mistake my book for that one, especially if it’s available in a Kindle version, so, like, no one will really know they screwed up ordering the wrong book and so my book will make a lot of money. If you don’t like The Godfather we could call it Fifty Shades of Grey because that’s pretty popular too. It’s OK to do stuff like that because you can’t copyright a title. I didn’t know if you knew that.
My book’s not really that good, but I haven’t been writing very long, so I have an excuse. I read a lot, mostly Manga, but except for the storyline running from back to front it’s very similar to the other stuff people read in books.
So anyway, we could make a lot of money selling my book and I’ll sign a contract to write more, no problem.
If I don’t hear from you within like a few weeks I’ll call your agency to see what you think. Hurry though. I will send it to other agencies who probably want to make some money themselves.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
John J. White

Comments

  1. You have a wonderfully light and humourous touch, enjoy reading your posts :) best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nilanjana,
      I don't know how you can write such beautiful poetry and still have a sense of humor but you're one of the rare ones.

      Delete
    2. So you think us poets are a sour lot?? Just kidding!! :) I truly enjoy your blog...so
      came here today with a request - please check this out
      http://nilabose.blogspot.com/2012/09/tagged-for-liebster.html
      Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. I think I'll use your query, just tell me what agents you're sending it to, because it's only plagiarism if it goes the same place, right? ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you send it to an agent, I guarantee they will talk about it in their next staff meeting. You will be banned from the literary hierarchy, but they will talk about it. Going to your blog later to see if you were really behind bars. (doubt it)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nisei

My new novel, published by Black Opal Books:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States government encouraged all eligible young men to enlist immediately in the fight against its enemies overseas. All eligible young men except Japanese-Americans.Nisei is the story of Hideo Bobby Takahashi, a Hawaiian-born Japanese-American who must overcome prejudice, internment, and the policies of his own government to prove his loyalty to his country.Narrated by Bobby Takahashi and read by his son, Robert, 46 years after Bobby’s death, the story details the young Nisei’s determination to fight honorably for his country and return to the young love he was forced to leave, a girl he cannot have because she is white. Nisei on Amazon

NEW AUTHOR WEBSITE

Please visit my new website:  www.jjwhitebooks.com
Play some chess against a computer on the site and listen to some classical music.
Sign up on the site to receive news of new books or events.
I won't sell your e-mail and I won't send you spam. Scout's honor.
I'll also be moving this blog there as soon as I can figure out how visitors can comment on it.
Also, my story The Adventure of the Nine Hole League was published in the Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine #13

JJ

Deviant Acts

October 12, 2015 00



My newest novel, Deviant Acts, was released November 14. . My publisher sent galleys of the book to well-known reviewers like, Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, and Book Page. I paid for the postage and the cost of the galleys, so I hope they did, anyway. I really don't expect to be reviewed by the big boys and girls, though I believe the book is written well enough and has a good enough story to consider a review. But then again, like all other authors, I'm in love with my writing. A natural progression for authors is that your first hate your writing, then you doubt it, and then you love it. The doubt it stage usually produces the best work. I wrote Deviant Acts when I was in my doubt it stage, but now I love it. I know. I'm as confused as you are.
 What is the origin of this book? How did it surface from the goo of my brain? When I sire a novel it usually comes from actual events I've experienced, or from current and historical events that others have e…