Skip to main content

The Sophomore Jinx and Novelists


 
I just returned from a writers’ conference where I had some success with the literary awards, taking a few second places as well as making the top ten in an anthology they published, so for a few days I had a modicum of notoriety, congratulated many times by many writers.
Then I come home to my loving wife who is more impressed with my ability to remember to take out the trash on Thursday than she is on any awards or publication credits I happen to amass. Ah—literary fame, a huge high and then a big downer, kind of like illegal drugs and sex, though less dangerous.
From the few conversations I have had with New York Times Best-selling authors, it seems their biggest fear after achieving fame with the success of their first book, is the sophomore jinx. It’s because the only thing worse than publishing a book and having it fail is publishing a book and having it succeed. A successful book now means you have to follow up with another, just as successful, otherwise you feel you are a failure. Take J K Rowling for example. She followed up the mega-hit Harry Potter series with a ho-hum novel about local politics, the forgetful, Casual Vacancy. Gag me with a spoon.
 

Other examples of well-known authors who have a big hit for their debut book and then limped home for the rest of their career:
  • To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee: Never wrote another book.
  • Catch 22 -  Joseph Heller – A one hit wonder after writing a novel that has ingrained its title into the English language,
  • On the Road- Jack Kerouac- One book - then zip.
  • Catcher In The RyeJ D Salinger. He wrote the book, then holed up in a bomb shelter somewhere and never surfaced.
  • The Bell Jar – Silvia Plath – Okay, she had an excuse. You can’t write another book when you’re dead.
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde: Wrote the best book he could and then became preoccupied, if you know what I mean – Nudge-Nudge, Wink-Wink.
  • Jane Eyre:  Charlotte Bronte – I guess she was no Jane Austen
  • Moby Dick: Herman Melville- He may have bored himself so much writing the first novel that he couldn’t take another.
Here's a list on the web: http://listverse.com/2008/02/07/top-10-literary-one-hit-wonders/

All have had their share of fame but couldn’t beat that sophomore jinx with a successful or even decent follow-up novel.
Okay- some trivia. What novelist sold more books than anyone between 1898 and 1915 while having the most number one bestsellers those years? A riddle and a hint- you’ll recognize the name yet not the author. Huh? Give up? Okay, it’s Winston Churchill. But wait, JJ, you say. I know Winston Churchill and he wrote only one novel so what’s up with that?
 
Glad you asked. It ‘s not that Winston Churchill, it’s the other Winston Churchill. Now that you’re totally confused, I’ll explain. The Winston Churchill I’m talking about is the American author, who in his time, was a rock star of novelists and yet no one remembers him anymore, and all because the British Winston Churchill moved into the limelight during World War II and stole the poor yank’s thunder. It’s like being a famous scientist named Adolph Hitler in the eighteenth century, dwarfed by the evil dictator in the twentieth.
If the poor American Churchill had used a nom de plume instead of his real name, he would still be fondly remembered, like Dickens or Poe. Such is life.
I hope to God that if I sell a number of best sellers sometime, some guy in the future named John J. White doesn’t get elected President or assassinate a president because then all my hard fought fame will go the way of the American Churchill and my descendants will be pissed.
Lesson learned: Pick your pseudonym wisely and enjoy your fame while you can.

Comments

  1. Many congratulations, John! At the rate you are going you'll soon have to change the name of your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be right, Nilanjana. I believe I subconsously wrote this blog as a catharsis from the rejection that's a natural process in the business. I also needed an outlet for humor since most of my other writing is seriously bleak. If I get a book out there I'll change the title of the site to Give It Up You Might Never Be Published. Hope all's well.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nisei

My new novel, published by Black Opal Books:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States government encouraged all eligible young men to enlist immediately in the fight against its enemies overseas. All eligible young men except Japanese-Americans.Nisei is the story of Hideo Bobby Takahashi, a Hawaiian-born Japanese-American who must overcome prejudice, internment, and the policies of his own government to prove his loyalty to his country.Narrated by Bobby Takahashi and read by his son, Robert, 46 years after Bobby’s death, the story details the young Nisei’s determination to fight honorably for his country and return to the young love he was forced to leave, a girl he cannot have because she is white. Nisei on Amazon

NEW AUTHOR WEBSITE

Please visit my new website:  www.jjwhitebooks.com
Play some chess against a computer on the site and listen to some classical music.
Sign up on the site to receive news of new books or events.
I won't sell your e-mail and I won't send you spam. Scout's honor.
I'll also be moving this blog there as soon as I can figure out how visitors can comment on it.
Also, my story The Adventure of the Nine Hole League was published in the Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine #13

JJ

Deviant Acts

October 12, 2015 00



My newest novel, Deviant Acts, was released November 14. . My publisher sent galleys of the book to well-known reviewers like, Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, and Book Page. I paid for the postage and the cost of the galleys, so I hope they did, anyway. I really don't expect to be reviewed by the big boys and girls, though I believe the book is written well enough and has a good enough story to consider a review. But then again, like all other authors, I'm in love with my writing. A natural progression for authors is that your first hate your writing, then you doubt it, and then you love it. The doubt it stage usually produces the best work. I wrote Deviant Acts when I was in my doubt it stage, but now I love it. I know. I'm as confused as you are.
 What is the origin of this book? How did it surface from the goo of my brain? When I sire a novel it usually comes from actual events I've experienced, or from current and historical events that others have e…