Skip to main content

Find Dennis LeHane's Dog


I haven't written a blog in quite a while but I have been busy over the holidays. First, some news about me. (I'm sure you're all holding your breath in anticipation) I have signed on with a literary agent. She is Jeanie Loiacono of the Sullivan-Maxx agency and she has agreed to take me on for a year. She intends to push my novel Prodigious Savant to publishers. Also, I have been nominated for the Pushcart Prize for short fiction. This goes to show you the power of negative thinking, which will probably be my next blog. Anyway, preparing with an agent does take some time as you both must edit the manuscript and set up your page on their website.

Now back to Dennis LeHane's missing dog. I have the pleasure of attending the Eckerd College Writers in Paradise workshop every year for the last three years. Dennis LeHane and Sterling Watson sponsor the workshops each year and bring the big names in books to be instructors for 8-10 students for eight days of workshops where your work is critiqued by them and the students in your group. So far I have had Laura Lippman, Stewart O'Nan and John Dufresne for instructors and this year it will be Tom Franklin. Other notables that have taught are Andre DuBus, Dennis LeHane, Stephen King, and Ann Hood.
Dennis is a hell of a guy and loyal to a fault to his peers and students. That's why all who know him feel the pain he is feeling since he lost his beloved beagle, Tessa, when she jumped ship at their Brookline house in Boston a few days ago. If you find the dog, Dennis will let you name a character in his new novel. So if you live in Boston be on the look out or if you know someone in Boston, call them.
So help Dennis and name your character. I could see his new book with the protagonist team of Angela Gennaro and JJ White. Cool

Comments

  1. Well done. All the best! What a good way to see the year out and welcome the new one in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats--both on obtaining an agent and the Pushcart Prize nomination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sob, weep, sniff, wiping snot on your sleeve as I try to understand why I had to read your blog to learn you have an agent. Was this pizza talk during the last meeting and not privvy to we poor skypers? Pushcart nom, I know about, but an agent? You are a scurvy scoundrel for withholding this information!

    A single, hot, salty tear falls from my eye....

    CONGRATULATIONS you dirtbag! I'm eager to hold the book in my hands, after all this time. I wonder if the publisher will ask you to change the title. He/she better not, but if asked, by all means, change it!

    Damn, Boy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nisei

My new novel, published by Black Opal Books:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States government encouraged all eligible young men to enlist immediately in the fight against its enemies overseas. All eligible young men except Japanese-Americans.Nisei is the story of Hideo Bobby Takahashi, a Hawaiian-born Japanese-American who must overcome prejudice, internment, and the policies of his own government to prove his loyalty to his country.Narrated by Bobby Takahashi and read by his son, Robert, 46 years after Bobby’s death, the story details the young Nisei’s determination to fight honorably for his country and return to the young love he was forced to leave, a girl he cannot have because she is white. Nisei on Amazon

NEW AUTHOR WEBSITE

Please visit my new website:  www.jjwhitebooks.com
Play some chess against a computer on the site and listen to some classical music.
Sign up on the site to receive news of new books or events.
I won't sell your e-mail and I won't send you spam. Scout's honor.
I'll also be moving this blog there as soon as I can figure out how visitors can comment on it.
Also, my story The Adventure of the Nine Hole League was published in the Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine #13

JJ

Deviant Acts

October 12, 2015 00



My newest novel, Deviant Acts, was released November 14. . My publisher sent galleys of the book to well-known reviewers like, Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, and Book Page. I paid for the postage and the cost of the galleys, so I hope they did, anyway. I really don't expect to be reviewed by the big boys and girls, though I believe the book is written well enough and has a good enough story to consider a review. But then again, like all other authors, I'm in love with my writing. A natural progression for authors is that your first hate your writing, then you doubt it, and then you love it. The doubt it stage usually produces the best work. I wrote Deviant Acts when I was in my doubt it stage, but now I love it. I know. I'm as confused as you are.
 What is the origin of this book? How did it surface from the goo of my brain? When I sire a novel it usually comes from actual events I've experienced, or from current and historical events that others have e…