Skip to main content

Dead Authors On Twitter





1.             Ernest Hemingway

    Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?

2. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
     William Faulkner

       And that from a writer who has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.”

     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
      Jane Austen-

     Gentlemen. May we agree you are both fine writers with different styles?

     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Mark Twain
 
Jane, I haven’t any right to criticize books, and I don’t do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticize yours, but your books madden me so that I can’t conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read ‘Pride and Prejudice,’ I want to dig you up and hit you over the skull with your own shin-bone.




            Jane Austen-   Mr. Twain. Surely, even a man of your meager literary background and lineage must be joking?

 

  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

     I think he is not, Jane. Whenever I peruse your novels, they seem to me vulgar in tone, sterile in artistic invention, imprisoned in the wretched conventions of English society, without genius, wit, or knowledge of the world. Never was life so pinched and narrow. The one problem in your mind. . . is marriageableness.

    
 
 
 
 
 
 
      Jane Austen- I believe I have had enough bullying and shall sign off for the night.

 

   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     Mark Twain – Good news for all seven of your followers.

 

   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
         Ralph Waldo Emerson- Touché.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
      Truman Capote – My, but we girls are testy tonight.

 

   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     Gore Vidal

     And that from a full-fledged housewife from Kansas with all the prejudices.

 
 
 
 
 
 
       Truman Capote – Gore-I believe Buckley awaits a rematch with you in Hell. Toute suite, dear.

 

   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     Truman Capote – And while you’re there, I believe Jack Kerouac is working with Buckley on some writing you can help them with. Oh wait. That’s not writing, it’s typing.

 

  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     Jack Kerouac- Not cool, Tru. Dig?

 

    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
       Truman Capote – I’ll dig Jane Austen’s shin bone up with Twain and hit you over the head with it until you learn to write.

 

   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     Vladimir Nabokov

      Let’s stick with Hemingway, shall we? I read him for the first time in the early ‘forties, something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it.

     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
       Ernest Hemingway

      Come by and see me some time, Vladimir. I have two twelve-year-old nieces who wish to hide from you.

      
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
         Vladimir Nabokov

       I must leave for the night. I cannot abide Hemingway’s monosyllabic prose any more than I could tolerate Joseph Conrad’s souvenir shop style of romanticist clichés without acquiring a tremendous headache.

 

        
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
      Virginia Woolf

       My turn. My turn. Let us pounce on James Joyce, shall we?  Ulysses is the work of a queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples.”

 

     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
         Virginia Woolf

      And Huxley. His prose is raw, uncooked, protesting.

        
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     William Faulkner

      And Twain, while he’s still online. A hack writer who would not have been considered fourth rate in Europe, who tricked out a few of the old proven sure fire literary skeletons with sufficient local color to intrigue the superficial and the lazy.

 

     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     Mark Twain- I understood, hack, Bill, though the rest escaped me.

 

       
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
            Ernest Hemingway

      I’m with you, Mr. Twain, but it’s time to bury the hatchet. Can’t we all just get along?

.

         
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
      William Faulkner

     Bury the hatchet. So cliché, though not unexpected or unusual from the great Papa. My IPhone’s ringing. ICYMI  # kissmyroyalass.

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

  1. This is delightful! Thanks for the laughs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nisei

My new novel, published by Black Opal Books:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States government encouraged all eligible young men to enlist immediately in the fight against its enemies overseas. All eligible young men except Japanese-Americans.Nisei is the story of Hideo Bobby Takahashi, a Hawaiian-born Japanese-American who must overcome prejudice, internment, and the policies of his own government to prove his loyalty to his country.Narrated by Bobby Takahashi and read by his son, Robert, 46 years after Bobby’s death, the story details the young Nisei’s determination to fight honorably for his country and return to the young love he was forced to leave, a girl he cannot have because she is white. Nisei on Amazon

NEW AUTHOR WEBSITE

Please visit my new website:  www.jjwhitebooks.com
Play some chess against a computer on the site and listen to some classical music.
Sign up on the site to receive news of new books or events.
I won't sell your e-mail and I won't send you spam. Scout's honor.
I'll also be moving this blog there as soon as I can figure out how visitors can comment on it.
Also, my story The Adventure of the Nine Hole League was published in the Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine #13

JJ

Deviant Acts

October 12, 2015 00



My newest novel, Deviant Acts, was released November 14. . My publisher sent galleys of the book to well-known reviewers like, Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, and Book Page. I paid for the postage and the cost of the galleys, so I hope they did, anyway. I really don't expect to be reviewed by the big boys and girls, though I believe the book is written well enough and has a good enough story to consider a review. But then again, like all other authors, I'm in love with my writing. A natural progression for authors is that your first hate your writing, then you doubt it, and then you love it. The doubt it stage usually produces the best work. I wrote Deviant Acts when I was in my doubt it stage, but now I love it. I know. I'm as confused as you are.
 What is the origin of this book? How did it surface from the goo of my brain? When I sire a novel it usually comes from actual events I've experienced, or from current and historical events that others have e…